Meeting LogTags: organization and think
Meeting Log September 22, 2018
Today's Meet Objectives
As we are starting to make more serious strides in our robot and strategy, we wish to start passing down knowledge to our new recruits. Today, we are going to continue prototyping with grabbers and various linear slide kits and we need to discuss strategy and organization for this season.
Today's Meet Log
Today we have discussed more about what we want our strategy to look like. An option we are heavily considering is having a non-moving robot, in the sense that our robot is stationary and all game actions are performed using extensions from the robot, using linear slides, etc. We have discussed what game rules we need to consider, like what "parking" consists of during autonomous.
We have continued prototyping various grabbing mechanisms with sorting ability, one passive and one active sorter. The passive version we modelled in Creo and printed before practice, and the active was modelled using Legos! Our new rectuits have been helping us prototype also, as we have been making a version 2 for the active model.
Some of the materials we are working with require power tools that we don't have or were damaged by rain. One of the linear slide kits we are working with is stainless steel, which requires a chop saw which we didn't have. We made a trip to Home Depot and came back home to set up our new baby. Here it is in action:
Our new recruits finished up the field today! We are glad we had this project for them to do, as they could become familiar with building on a team while doing meaningful work. They ran into some problems along the way, but we only gave them a gentle push and let them problem solve themselves; these problems include difficulty with putting on the top part of the lander, improper placement of the wing nuts, alignment of the lander in the foam tiles, and more. Some of their difficulties stemmed from the field parts being machined inaccuately, so pieces didn't line up perfectly. They had use their own problem solving to get past these diffculties and the field looks great!
Evan and Janavi finished up the linear slides they were working on last week. In the previous meeting log, I described the difference between the two, but now that they are done we are going to test them both. As we build a chassis (or a wheel-less chassis) we are going to try both types to see how the weight, strength, friction, string tension, and other factors affect our gameplay.
Karina narrowed down the ideas for a marker and she, with Kenna, has began building it. More details to come in later posts.
For autonomous, we have been putting a strong priority in computer vision using Open CV. While we are waiting to begin code, we are testing many algorithm in Open CV, so we can accurately and consistenly detect field minerals. These algorithms consider shape and color to map points to predict the location of the minerals. Ideally, we will perfect our algorithms to find exactly where the gold block is among the three minerals during autonomous.
Today, Justin worked on making the location sensor (our fail-safe in case our encoders fail) smaller and more lightweight to help us meet with this year's size requirements (something we have had trouble with in the past). Also, he tested the different chassis we build this summer on the field to see how they interact with the terrain (aka the crater). He found that Big Wheel was too long and didn't go over the crater at all unless it was backwards and got a running start. Garchomp (with Mechanums) went over the craters fine.
Today's Work Log
|Team Members||Task||Start Time||Duration|
|Karina||Robot build and team marker design||2:00||4 hrs|
|Abhi||Open CV and build||2:00||4 hrs|
|Charlotte||Blog and brainstorming||2:00||4 hrs|
|Ethan||Working on blog||2:00||4 hrs|
|Kenna||Robot build||2:00||4 hrs|
|Justin||Build and field assembly||2:00||4 hrs|
|Arjun||Code and blog||2:00||4 hrs|