Garchomp Part 2

Tags: Build
Personhours: 70
Garchomp Part 2 By Janavi and Kenna

Task: Build the Chassis

So, we thought we finished but we were wrong, oh so wrong. As you saw in our last post, we thought our chassis was functional. However, after leaving it alone for over a week, Garchomp decided that it didn't want to work any more and 3 out of 4 of the chains came off. First, Kenna and I sat and cried.

Then we started to diagnose the problem. We noticed that the old tetrix rails we were using had dents in them, which caused the motors to shift, therefore causing the chains to come off the gears.

We decided to replace the tetrix rails. First we loosened all of the screws on the current bar, carefully slid it out, and replaced it with new bars. This solved one of many problems that we had somehow missed when building our chassis. After fixing all of the chains and confirming that each of them were individually working, we re-attached all of the cables to the robot and ran the code. We discovered that not all of the wheels were running at the same speed because our robot kept on moving in circles. After checking that the motors were working, we discovered that it was our encoder cabels that were plugged in wrong. But finally... After fixing that, and after many, many hours of trying to fix the chassis, we finished! Now, I think, we can safely say our chassis is complete.

Next Steps

We will try out more tests on the robot and make sure that it is up to par with our past robots.

Written on August 18, 2018