Finishing the ChassisTags: think, design, and build
Task: Build a Chassis
We have been working on this chassis, on and off, for over three months. Just about every part of it has been built, disassembled, and rebuilt more than twice. In out last post, we had thought the wheels were ready to go. However, various parts had been put on backwards or were unusable so we had to do everything over again. Once we had rebuilt, we realized that there were even more issues. So we fixed those and built them again. Both of us could probably assemble wheels, motors, and chains in our sleep.
Now that the robot has wheels, we started on attaching the REV expansion hub and battery. The chassis is square, but has an asymmetrical structure of tetrix bars. Attaching the battery was the simple part since previous version of the robot had a 3D-printed battery holder that would be screwed on. After a short search, we found it in a box of 3D-printed parts whose prime was long over. There was no way to effectively place the expansion hub on the tetrix rails. Instead, we attached a thin plank of wood to two parallel bars, drilled a couple holes, and screwed the hub on.
Overall, it is a very no-frills chassis. We had to cut most of the side shields off because they were becoming more of an obstruction than an aid. Though it was a pain to build and rebuild every aspect of the chassis, we gained a lot of building experience out of one robot. We chose a relatively difficult design to built for the first time but, in the end, it was functional and that's all we can really ask for.
Though the physical robot has been built, it has no code. Both of us will be learning how to program a basic pushbot.